22.5.07

"they always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself." ~andy warhol



i quit my job on saturday, for reasons unforgiveable. suffice to say: if you do not appreciate me, then you should not have me. i will not work for anyone who thinks of me as a dispensable android.
it has been a strange last few days of alternating sadness, indignation, giddiness and uncertainty. i am watching myself go through this process with curiosity. everything, even the constants in my life, look different. my body and mind might react exactly the same if i was paratrooping. i have leapt out into the thin air even though i'm terrified of falling. but to stay would have been far more grave of an error.

for some reason this morning, i'm finding andy warhol comforting. pop is nice when what you're looking for is something "deeply superficial." that's how warhol described himself. these are some of my other favorite things he said:

"The most exciting attractions are between two opposites that never meet.”


“Isn't life a series of images that change as they repeat themselves?”


“I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want to own.”


“I always thought I'd like my own tombstone to be blank. No epitaph, and no name. Well, actually, I'd like it to say "figment."”


“I suppose I have a really loose interpretation of ''work,'' because I think that just being alive is so much work at something you don't always want to do. The machinery is always going. Even when you sleep.”


“It would be very glamorous to be reincarnated as a great big ring on Liz Taylor's finger.”


“Since people are going to be living longer and getting older, they'll just have to learn how to be babies longer.”


"I'm confused about who the news belongs to. I always have it in my head that if you name's in the news, then the news should be paying you. Because it's your news and they're taking it and selling it as their product…If people didn't give the news their news, and if everybody kept their news to themselves, the news wouldn't have any news."


yes.
yes yes yes.

No comments: